Problems with email again.
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
2005-04-26 16:23:37 UTC
For several days now, I have been experiencing problems connecting with my
Virgin.net pop3 email account. My broadband internet connection is working
just fine, but when I try to access email, it just sits there and then after
about 15 minutes, puts up a message to the effect that the connection has
timed out and that this may be due to "a firewall issue". Well I've always
used Windows XP's own firewall with no problems in the past, and when I try
turning it off, I still can't get to my email. I've changed absolutely
nothing on my PC and I'm sure this is a Virgin issue. Anyone else having
similar problems?
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8
"I will not tolerate intolerance ... Doh!!"
Jean
2005-04-26 16:25:42 UTC
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
For several days now, I have been experiencing problems connecting with my
Virgin.net pop3 email account. My broadband internet connection is working
just fine, but when I try to access email, it just sits there and then after
about 15 minutes, puts up a message to the effect that the connection has
timed out and that this may be due to "a firewall issue". Well I've always
used Windows XP's own firewall with no problems in the past, and when I try
turning it off, I still can't get to my email. I've changed absolutely
nothing on my PC and I'm sure this is a Virgin issue. Anyone else having
similar problems?
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8
My photo galleries at http://www.pbase.com/davecq
"I will not tolerate intolerance ... Doh!!"
Hi Dave.........I've been getting the same problems and error message
today...Its nothing to do with our firewalls...I use McAfee's firewall so it
cant be that..............Jean
PS: Is there only you and I left in this newsgroup? Its seems very quiet :-(
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
2005-04-26 16:37:41 UTC
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
turning it off, I still can't get to my email. I've changed absolutely
nothing on my PC and I'm sure this is a Virgin issue. Anyone else having
similar problems?
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8
My photo galleries at http://www.pbase.com/davecq
"I will not tolerate intolerance ... Doh!!"
Hi Dave.........I've been getting the same problems and error message
today...Its nothing to do with our firewalls...I use McAfee's firewall so it
cant be that..............Jean
PS: Is there only you and I left in this newsgroup? Its seems very quiet :-(
Thanks for that Jean, I'm glad it's nothing I've done then. I've checked
Virgin's website for any announcements and tried their announcements phone
line but it seems they are unaware of the problem. I really don't think
I've got the stamina to dial their support line to get the usual bull about
how I need to reinstall all my software :( This is really
frustrating. It's been happening to me off and on for days now, but
tonight I just cannot get mail to connect at all!

Yes, it is awfully quiet in the Virgin groups, where has everyone got to?
Jean
2005-04-26 16:42:53 UTC
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
For several days now, I have been experiencing problems connecting
with
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
my
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
turning it off, I still can't get to my email. I've changed absolutely
nothing on my PC and I'm sure this is a Virgin issue. Anyone else
having
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
similar problems?
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8
My photo galleries at http://www.pbase.com/davecq
"I will not tolerate intolerance ... Doh!!"
Hi Dave.........I've been getting the same problems and error message
today...Its nothing to do with our firewalls...I use McAfee's firewall
so
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
it
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
cant be that..............Jean
PS: Is there only you and I left in this newsgroup? Its seems very quiet
:-(
I've just managed to download my emails....sigh!
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
2005-04-26 17:31:20 UTC
Post by Jean
I've just managed to download my emails....sigh!
I gave up after countless attempts, went and had my evening meal, and then
returned and tried once more and got connected immediately. Bizarre. I
think they must have weight of traffic problems, quite possibly caused by
their own inability to control the amount of spam that is now getting
through.
John Cletheroe
2005-04-26 16:41:13 UTC
No connection or email problems on dial-up (24/Seven, i.e. unmetered) at
the moment. Fingers remain crossed.

Hope you get your probs sorted quick.

John
t***@hotmail.com
2005-04-26 17:40:05 UTC
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
For several days now, I have been experiencing problems connecting with my
Virgin.net pop3 email account. My broadband internet connection is working
just fine, but when I try to access email, it just sits there and then after
about 15 minutes, puts up a message to the effect that the connection has
timed out and that this may be due to "a firewall issue". Well I've always
used Windows XP's own firewall with no problems in the past, and when I try
turning it off, I still can't get to my email. I've changed absolutely
nothing on my PC and I'm sure this is a Virgin issue. Anyone else having
similar problems?
Dave,

Not had any problems here, thought I'm not yet on broadband which could be the
difference.

Regards,

Alec
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
2005-04-26 17:51:07 UTC
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
For several days now, I have been experiencing problems connecting with my
Virgin.net pop3 email account. My broadband internet connection is working
just fine, but when I try to access email, it just sits there and then after
about 15 minutes, puts up a message to the effect that the connection has
timed out and that this may be due to "a firewall issue". Well I've always
used Windows XP's own firewall with no problems in the past, and when I try
turning it off, I still can't get to my email. I've changed absolutely
nothing on my PC and I'm sure this is a Virgin issue. Anyone else having
similar problems?
Dave,
Not had any problems here, thought I'm not yet on broadband which could be the
difference.
Regards,
Alec
Thanks for the response Alec. I suspect it is limited to broadband users.
I think the BB servers are creaking under the strain of all the spam Virgin
are now failing to trap.
Jean
2005-04-26 18:02:02 UTC
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
For several days now, I have been experiencing problems connecting
with
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
my
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
used Windows XP's own firewall with no problems in the past, and when
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
try
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
similar problems?
Dave,
Not had any problems here, thought I'm not yet on broadband which could
be
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
the
Post by t***@hotmail.com
difference.
Regards,
Alec
Thanks for the response Alec. I suspect it is limited to broadband users.
I think the BB servers are creaking under the strain of all the spam Virgin
are now failing to trap.
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8
My photo galleries at http://www.pbase.com/davecq
"I will not tolerate intolerance ... Doh!!"
I agree....I'm getting a spam email through about every 10 minutes at the
moment...what the hell are virgin playing at?
John
2005-04-26 23:40:39 UTC
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
Post by t***@hotmail.com
difference.
Regards,
Alec
Thanks for the response Alec. I suspect it is limited to broadband users.
I think the BB servers are creaking under the strain of all the spam Virgin
are now failing to trap.
No! It is not confined to Broadband unfortunately. I and a friend nearby
have been having both e-mail/newsgroup failure and mounting spam during
the past fortnight or so.
John
t***@hotmail.com
2005-04-27 06:19:35 UTC
Post by John
No! It is not confined to Broadband unfortunately. I and a friend nearby
have been having both e-mail/newsgroup failure and mounting spam during
the past fortnight or so.
John,

I've been getting a lot more spam like everyone else but for some reason no
problems with email/newsgroups except the usual vanishing Virgin groups
newswhich is of long standing.

Regards,

Alec
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
2005-04-27 15:17:47 UTC
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Post by John
No! It is not confined to Broadband unfortunately. I and a friend nearby
have been having both e-mail/newsgroup failure and mounting spam during
the past fortnight or so.
John,
I've been getting a lot more spam like everyone else but for some reason no
problems with email/newsgroups except the usual vanishing Virgin groups
newswhich is of long standing.
Regards,
Alec
I made the huge mistake of emailing ***@virgin.net , you'd think I'd
have more sense by now! I described exactly what we are all experiencing
and that there is no doubt that the problem lies at their end, and all I get
in return is an email asking me the usual brain-dead questions about my
operating system etc etc. Still, at least I didn't waste my time on the
phone with these bozos, running up a huge bill.
John Cletheroe
2005-04-27 15:16:43 UTC
Hi folks,

No problems connecting (at the moment).

No problems sending or receiving email (at the moment).

Mounting deluge of spam, most of it very obviously spam (like everyone
else).

John
Cumberpach
2005-04-27 22:19:16 UTC
Post by Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
Post by t***@hotmail.com
difference.
Regards,
Alec
Thanks for the response Alec. I suspect it is limited to broadband users.
I think the BB servers are creaking under the strain of all the spam Virgin
are now failing to trap.
--
No probs here Dave with VirginBB/O.E./Norton and no spam either. They did go
clang about a month ago (confirmed on their 0800 number) and we used Yahoo

Pete