Broadband ok?
Jim Scott
2005-01-02 16:57:48 UTC
What’s the situation like on Virgin Broadband.
No complaints here recently must be a good sign.
--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address
Brendon
2005-01-02 17:55:59 UTC
What’s the situation like on Virgin Broadband.
No complaints here recently must be a good sign.
All good this end, as far as I can tell, though I only d/l about 2-3GB a
month, so not a 'big' user as such.

Brendon
News Virgin
2005-01-07 14:39:36 UTC
Post by Jim Scott
What’s the situation like on Virgin Broadband.
No complaints here recently must be a good sign.
All good this end, as far as I can tell, though I only d/l about 2-3GB a
month, so not a 'big' user as such.

Brendon

Which begs the next question; how do you know if you're getting close to
the 3Gb limit? (or anywhere near it for that matter).
Pam Moore
2005-01-07 23:30:17 UTC
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:39:36 GMT, "News Virgin"
Post by News Virgin
Which begs the next question; how do you know if you're getting close to
the 3Gb limit? (or anywhere near it for that matter).
All I know is that I have just had installed a 40 gb hard drive, but
for some years have had only a 4 gb jhard drive and it was about 3/4
full. I don't download anything big. Don't know how you would monitor
your downloads though.

Pam in Bristol
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
2005-01-08 10:12:39 UTC
Post by News Virgin
Which begs the next question; how do you know if you're getting close to
the 3Gb limit? (or anywhere near it for that matter).
All I know is that I have just had installed a 40 gb hard drive, but
for some years have had only a 4 gb jhard drive and it was about 3/4
full. I don't download anything big. Don't know how you would monitor
your downloads though.
Pam in Bristol
The only way I know of is to keep a check on the connection Status box Pam.
I've got Windows XP, so I'm not sure if this applies to other versions of
windows. When I am connected to the internet, one of the little icons in
the system tray toolbar running at the bottom of the screen is the "double
computer monitor" icon. Right-clicking on this brings up a small menu, and
clicking on Status, brings up a status window. This shows how long I've
been connected, and how many bytes have been sent and received. It's the
Received, i.e. download figure, you're interested in. Monitor this for a
few days and you'll get an idea of how much you are downloading. Note,
however, that this data resets to zero everytime you disconnect from the
internet, so you need to remember to note down the received figure just
before disconnecting each time, which is a bit of a pain.
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8
My photo galleries at http://www.pbase.com/davecq
Brendon
2005-01-09 21:01:06 UTC
Post by News Virgin
Which begs the next question; how do you know if you're getting close to
the 3Gb limit? (or anywhere near it for that matter).
All I know is that I have just had installed a 40 gb hard drive, but
for some years have had only a 4 gb jhard drive and it was about 3/4
full. I don't download anything big. Don't know how you would monitor
your downloads though.
Pam in Bristol
I had a little shareware app that would monitor it for me for the first
month - to get an idea of what I was using. Then I got clever and
decided to email cust support - and the reply I got indicates they are
'in the process' of implementing the download limit - read into that
what you will I think....I am making the most of it at the moment anyway :-)

Cheers
Brendon
Cinta

Pam in Bristol
Pam Moore
2005-01-03 10:56:52 UTC
Post by Jim Scott
What’s the situation like on Virgin Broadband.
No complaints here recently must be a good sign.
I almost hesitate to say it but apart from the spam all is fine. I
have just changed to the cheaper broadband option. Realised I did not
need the higher gb obtion.

Pam in Bristol
John Cletheroe
2005-01-03 11:52:05 UTC
Pam Moore wrote:
Post by Pam Moore
have just changed to the cheaper broadband option. Realised I did not
need the higher gb obtion.
Pam in Bristol
Pam,

Is there any information to show how much data you've downloaded, so you
can judge which Broadband option you need?

John
Pam Moore
2005-01-03 14:00:27 UTC
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:52:05 GMT, John Cletheroe
Post by John Cletheroe
Is there any information to show how much data you've downloaded, so you
can judge which Broadband option you need?
Not that I know of, but I don't download music or anything large, so
assume I don't need over 3gb for which I have been paying for several
years.

Pam in Bristol
Colin Hutchison
2005-01-07 00:42:53 UTC
It's pretty simple, if you maily surf then go for the cheaper one. If you
play games / dl mp3s or movies etc get the higher package.

I wouldn't wanna have the lesser package and always be wondering if i was
near my limit after i downloaded a few things

Col
--
====================================

You are not your fucking khakis.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/chef_dave
Pam in Bristol
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
2005-01-03 14:17:41 UTC
Post by John Cletheroe
Post by Pam Moore
have just changed to the cheaper broadband option. Realised I did not
need the higher gb obtion.
Pam in Bristol
Pam,
Is there any information to show how much data you've downloaded, so you
can judge which Broadband option you need?
John
I spotted this on the Web John
http://www.webattack.com/freeware/comm/fwdialup.shtml . The Down2Home
freeware utility looks like it might provide volume monitoring. I've not
tried it myself so cannot vouch for it.

I transferred to the Virgin limited download broadband deal as soon as it
became available. I subscribe to a photographic newsgroup and download many
images every day, but I've never come close to the download limit. 3GB is a
heck of a lot of data when you think about it.